Sunday, January 9, 2011

Love Drop – Paying It Forward … One Person at a Time

Hello, y’all! I had the neatest experience over on Facebook this weekend and wanted to tell you about it! I logged onto Facebook and saw a post from one of my friends about a contest that was going on over at Pete the Planner’s page.

Pete the Planner is from Indianapolis, and is a radio host, writer, and personal finance expert. Because of the playoff game on Saturday, between the New York Jets and the Indianapolis Colts, he pledged to donate $1 per POINT for every point the Colts scored to the charity that voted the most by commenting on his Facebook page. The rules allowed for only one vote per person, and the voting would end at 12:00 PM on Saturday, January 8, 2011. Well, if you know me, you KNOW how fanatical I am about the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (PanCan). I will jump in at any opportunity to raise funds for PanCan, in honor of my Mom! Pete was showing his readers how to “give creatively”. What a neat idea, right?

I have made so many friends on Facebook because we all have suffered from Pancreatic Cancer in one form or other. Some people are like me, and have already lost a loved one to the vicious disease. Some people are actually survivors, struggling to beat it. And, some people are actually caregivers, taking care of someone they love that is fighting this nasty cancer. What did I do? I re-posted the link, of course! Well, so many people re-posted and participated that Pancreatic Cancer Action Network won the contest! I was so fascinated that I got to participate in a fund-raiser for PanCan while sitting right at my computer!

Because this contest, which was held on Facebook and Twitter, got so much attention and participation, many donors jumped on board with Pete and pledged money for each point the Colts scored. I believe the final tally per point was $260, instead of the original $10 per point Pete pledged. The final score of the game was the Jets 17, and the Colts 16. Yes, the Colts lost, but Pancreatic Cancer Action Network scored $4,160!!!  Amazing! Paying it forward is so rewarding!!

Fast-forward to today when I read a blog by The Debt Princess, where she discussed a new blog, called the Love Drop: 





Love Drop is a really neat, brand new micro-giving network of individuals "subscribing to the team for as little as $1 a month, who change the lives of one person or family every month through an unexpected financial gift, personal encouragement and the development of an ongoing local and online support network".   

Every month the Love Drop Community will get together and come up with creative ideas to raise awareness, funds, and other support necessary to fulfill their cause.  The very first recipient is Jill in Chicago.  The Love Drop is going to work with Jill and her kids, who lost everything in a fire and are now homeless.  I cannot imagine the devastation of losing EVERYTHING but the clothes on my back. 




 
Kona Grill has stepped up and partnered with Love Drop this month to sponsor Jill and her family.  How cool is that?!?!  I love seeing families deserving of help actually get it!!  Why don’t you pop on over to the Love Drop and check them out!  Get involved.  You, too, can make a difference in someone’s life.  Pay it forward!!

Kelly

2 comments:

Queen Mom said...

The words, "Pay it forward" have been in my mind lately. I'm working on a little project that has something to do with that. :)

Excellent post! Thanks for pointing out these wonderful random acts of kindness! We need more of those going around!

Kelly Smith said...

Thanks, Queen Mom! If you look at my Facebook profile, you will see that "Pay it forward" is a motto of my life!! <3